Author interview with PM Herndandez

This weeks spotlight winner is Author PM Hernandez!  She very kindly took time out of her hectic schedule to take part in our author interview.  She is an writer of Young Adult Paranormal, Sci-fi and Fantasy, with 2 series currently; The Earthborn Series and the Whitwood Journels.



Q: For those that are new to PM Hernandez, can you tell us a bit about yourself and your books?

PM:  I've loved books all my life, like I have this weird connection with them, which is something I think all writers have in common.  I can remember reading when I shouldn't (when i was supposed to be studying or sleeping) and I wrote fan-fiction before it was cool.  My day job take me all over the globe and that gets my creative juices flowing.  I write what I would read, so that means a lot of fantasy elements.  Reading, for me, is an escape.  I want to be entertained, overjoyed, saddened, and giggling.   All the feels.  And cute gargoyles never hurt.

Q:  At What point in your life did you know you wanted to be a writer?  

PM:  I've been writing my whole life, but it has been in the lat ten year that I got serious about acutally writing a full-length novel for others to read.  Everything jut came to a head in the lat year, and here I am with two published books.

Q:  Do you need peace and quiet to write or do you have a playlist to keep you going?  If you do would you share it with us?

PM:  I love a good playlist.  I'm on Spotify and my playlists are public unless it's for a novel i'm currently writing.  I'm on Spotify as PM Hernandez.

Q: Are your characters always a complete work of fiction or i there an element of someone you know to start the idea rolling?

PM:  Most of my characters are fictional with an element or two of someone I know.  Using quirks or friend and family makes characters more believable and relatable.  I confess to using someone in real life for a character in Earthborn,  He isn't evil, just an ass.  He'll probably die.  Horribly.

Q:  What are your experience of being an Indie Author, do you find that social media is a help or a distraction to your writing?

PM:  It's a blessing and a curse!  Social media allows me to connect with resources, fellow writers, publishing team members and fans.  It also allows me to spend an hour watching funny videos and chatting with people.  Ugh.  I should get an egg timer or something to keep me honest with my goofing off time.  It's amazing how fast 30 minutes disappear online.

Q:  What are you currently working on or is it a secret?

PM:  I'm currently writing the sequel to Flesh and Stone.  The title is a secret.  Sorry.  Up next is the sequel to Earthborn.  I also finished the first two books in a horror/science fiction series, but they need some work before going to my editor.

Q:  You have just got back from Utopia, what is it like to be a signing author?

PM:  It' exhausting!  I'm amazed how tired I feel just hanging out and talking to people.  Must be the introvert in me.  But I love meeting readers and other authors.  I walk away feeling pumped up and inspired.

Q:  If you could be any character you have written, who would you choose?

PM:  I would choose Addy from Earthborn.  She's sarcastic and straight forward.  She also happens to have kick ass powers that would totally come in handy.  Plus, her boyfriend is HAWT.

Q: What are you currently reading?

PM:  I just finished the Splintered series by A.G. Howard.  So good!  The covers are divine.  I stared at them for so long.  Next on deck is Trial by Charm by Jolene Buchheit, which i'm so excited about because it has Greek mythology.

Q:  Fictional Dinner Party - give me 5 fictional characters or authors who you would have as dinner companions.

PM:  That's a horrible, horrible question.  I don't want to choose.  Okay, fine, five fictional characters in no particular order:  Severus Snape, Anne Shirley, George Knightley, William Herondale and Brok Grigni (because I wrote one hot alien, if I say so myself).

Sorry for making you have to choose just 5! Thank you so much PM Hernandez for taking part in our interview. For those who are interested you can find my review for Earthborn in the earlier posts!