Author Interview with Raye Wagner

For this weeks author spotlight, we welcomed Raye Wagner!  Raye is the author of the Sphinx Series, an addictive young-adult fantasy based in a realm of Greek mythology, so if you are fans of Percy Jackson and the Sweet Evil Trilogy, these are the books for you!  Raye very graciously accepted the invitation to take part in our author interview and here's what she had to say to us.

Q:  For those that are new to Raye Wagner, can you tell us a bit about yourself and your books?

Raye:  I'm a red personality that wishes she was a little more yellow.  I love bakery treats.  I enjoy Tae Kwon Do, and I work out so I can eat what I want, and kick butt...just in case.  I work in healthcare, and I only dreamed of writing a story.  And then one day, a story dropped in my head, and I couldn't help but write it down.

If you like Greek mythology, strong heroines, handsome demigods, and a twist now and again, you might enjoy Curse of the Sphinx.

Q:  At what point in your life did you know you wanted to be a writer?

Raye:  When I was 16 I wrote a goal that I wanted to write a book.  When I went into nursing in college, writing became a dream of childhood.  And then years later (lots of years), I started writing a story.  I thought it would be easy, and there have been a few times I've wanted to quite, but the story must be told, so I'm still writing.

Q:  Do you need peace and quiet to write or do you have a playlist to keep you going?  If you do would you share it with us?

Raye:  I love music, but it's usually late at night, or nap time when I write, so I have to keep it quiet, and listen for sleeping littles yelling for mom.  I dream of the day I can write to music.

Q:  Are your characters always a complete work of fiction or is there an element of someone you know to start the idea rolling?

Raye:  I've been known to pilfer a characteristic or two now and again.  However, some characters come full developed.  That being said, when my mom read Curse of the Sphinx, she said, "Oh, I like how you put so-and-so in there like that."  I thought, What?  But looking back, she was right.  A few of my characters were based on people I knew.

Q:  What are your experiences of being an Indie Author, do you find that social media is a help of a distraction to your writing?

Raye:  Both.  I've had to learn to stay off of it most of the time, because it's fun being social.  But writing takes time, and that is the one commodity that I seem to lack the most of.

Q:  What are you currently working on or is it a secret!?

Raye:  I'm currently finishing Myths or Immortality, book 3 in the Curse of the Sphinx series.  I've also started outlining a book with dragons and fae.  Much more fantasy.  I can't wait to actually write it.

Q:  What is it about mythology that inspires you?

Raye:  I actually wasn't much of a mythology nerd until I started writing Curse of the Sphinx.  I had read the PJO series, and in book 4, Battle of the Labyrinth, the Sphinx is represented as a game show host.  I have a painting of the Sphinx done by a friend of mine in college.  The idea of her being a washed up game show host was an insult.  A couple of weeks later the idea dropped in my head.  I had to do a lot of research to make sure that I stayed close to the flavor of the myths.

Q:  If you could be any character you have written, who would you choose?

Raye:  Ryn from my fantasy series that will come out next year.  She's amazing.

A close second would be Phaidra, Hope's grandmother, the original Sphinx.  She had some amazing experiences.

Q:  What are you currently reading?

Raye:  Rock your Plot by Cathy Yardley.

Recently I finished Earth's End by Elise Kova (book 3 in the Air Awakens series)  It's amazing!!

Q:  Fictional Dinner Party - give me 5 fictional characters or authors who you would have as dinner companions.

Raye:  Ednah Walters, Quinn Loftis, Jaymin Eve, Holly Black and Mary Weber.  I would just sit and listen to them talk.  I've met Ednah and Quinn and I adore them and admire them as people and as writers.  The others I'm in awe of their writing talent, and would want to bask in their words.

As far as fictional characters, I'd love to meet Kitty Fremont (from Exodus by Leon Uris) as I pursued my career in nursing because of her.

Thank you so so much Raye for taking the time out to answer our questions!

For those who are interested in reading Raye's books, there is currently a giveaway going on over at our facebook page.  It's simple to enter and you will be gifted an ebook of choice from the series.  The giveaway closes on the 25th August at 8pm GMT, and is the pinned post on the page.  https://www.facebook.com/postapocalypticplayground/