Author Interview with Rebecca Jaycox

For this weeks spotlight we welcomed Rebecca Jaycox, despite being busy promoting The Other Queen, which was released at the beginning of the month, she graciously found time to take part in our author interview!


Q: For those that are new to Rebecca Jaycox, can you tell us a bit about yourself and your books? Rebecca: I’m from a small town in Missouri and have been living in NYC for the past 12 years.

Q: At what point in your life did you know you wanted to be a writer?
Rebecca: I was around 10 years old, and I discovered Star Wars. I’ve been writing every since.

Q: Tell us about your writing space, do you need calm and tranquility or do you have to have a playlist to keep you going?  Would you say you were more of a planner or a pantser?
Rebecca: I actually like having Netflix on in the background while I sit on my loveseat and write in my journal. Yes, I handwrite my books. I’m crazy. I’m a planner and a panster.

Q: The Other Queen was released this week and you held a bookstore launch, was that a great experience?
Rebecca: It was amazing! I had such great support.

Q: What are you currently working on or is it a secret!?
Rebecca: I’m working on my third book in the Inheritance series.

Q: For both The Other Inheritance and The Other Queen, there are some beautifully imagined scenery and set pieces, from the Airships to the inspired diving breathing apparatus, was creating the world of the other a world that came naturally to you or did involve a lot of research?
Rebecca: It was a world that mostly came naturally. I did look at some steampunk images to get some inspiration. I’m so glad you enjoyed my diving suit!

Q: Brwyn is perhaps one of the best characters I have ever read, did you set out to make him a reader’s favourite or did he develop into his role?
Rebecca: Thank you so much!! Brwyn was a happy accident. He didn’t even show up until the third draft of The Other Inheritance, and then he just took over.

Q: Following on from that, if you could be any one of your characters who would you choose? Rebecca: Hmmm, I think I would be Reggie. As much as I want to be Brwyn, I like being a woman. ;)

Q: What are you reading at the moment?
Rebecca: One Fell Sweep by Ilona Andrews

Q: Fictional Dinner Party - give me 5 fictional characters or authors who you would have as dinner companions :)
Rebecca: Ilona Andrews, Maggie Stiefvater, Patricia Briggs, Jim Butcher, and Anne Bishop.

Thank you so much for taking part Rebecca!

If you want to know more about the books please take a look at my reviews by following the links below.

The Other Inheritance: http://post-apocalypticplayground.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/review-of-other-inheritance-by-rebecca.html

The Other Queen: http://post-apocalypticplayground.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/review-of-other-queen-by-rebecca-jaycox.html